If you haven’t heard of tiny houses, they’re becoming increasingly popular as a minimalistic and cost-effective option to own a home. Tiny homes often range from 500 to 1,000 square feet and are usually simple in form and ideal for one or two dwellers.
Meanwhile, heating is one of the many queries and issues that may arise when settling for a tiny house. Spending the cold months in this type of home can be difficult, especially if you have cold-related illnesses. Fortunately, there are numerous portable heaters available to keep your tiny home cozy.
So, in this guide, you will learn more about the finest tiny house heating solutions in 2023. The tiny home industry has remained extremely popular as more and more individuals are interested in this low-cost living option.
This lifestyle option has plenty of fantastic benefits, including a sense of independence and better flexibility. So, it’s easy to see why they’re appealing to people looking for a more simple lifestyle.
When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
1. Envi Plug-In Electric Panel Wall Heater
- SAVE UP TO 50% OR MORE ON HEATING BILL ENERGY COSTS. Turn down your central heat and heat the areas of your home where you want, when you want, for as little as 4 cents per hour. Super-efficient, ultra-safe, wall mounted, low wattage, whole room heater that pays for itself in less than one winter. Supplements or replaces central heating.
- COOL TO THE TOUCH AT ONLY 90 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT WITH WALL-SENS SAFETY SENSOR TO CUT POWER IF THE HEATER IS REMOVED FROM THE WALL.Can be left running 24/7 for peace of mind to protect children, the elderly and pets. Doesn’t blow dust or allergens around a room, creating a cleaner, healthier environment for allergy sufferers and those with respiratory problems. Doesn’t dry out the air thus reducing winter nose bleeds and dry eye syndrome.
- EXPERIENCE TOTALLY SILENT (FAN-LESS), GENTLE WARMTH HEATING WITH AN AUTO-DIMMING POWER LIGHT FOR A GREAT NIGHTS SLEEP! Patented, fan-less design with “Stack Convection Technology” creates an updraft of warm, slow-moving air that gently circulates throughout the entire room.
- SIMPLE TO INSTALL IN MINUTES (NO DRILL OR CONTRACTOR REQUIRED). Easy to operate and clean with no moving parts so it is 100% maintenance free. Zero lifetime repair costs compared to expensive central heating system. Slim, sleek and stylish space saving design, reduces floor clutter! Only 2 inches thin!
- LOW POWER DRAW (ONLY 500 WATTS & 4.2 AMPS) SO MULTIPLE HEATERS CAN BE INSTALLED WITHOUT TRIPPING A BREAKER. Great for generators & solar power. Widely used in bathrooms and bedrooms, in offices and businesses, in hotels, and in nursing homes and apartment complexes. 3 year warranty, made in USA and award winning customer service!
This is our choice for the overall best heater for tiny house
- It won’t cause you to trip over wires in your tiny home as it is mounted to the wall
- This electric heater is pleasing to the eyes than portable heaters
- It lets you have better control over the temperature settings
- This heating option makes your tiny house more homey
- It requires installation
- Generally, they are more expensive
Envi Plug-In Electric Panel Wall Heater is a good heating option if you opt for an energy-efficient alternative. It lets you save up to 50% of your energy cost as it only consumes around 4 cents per hour.
This heater is also ultra-safe for whole room heating. It doesn’t overheat easily. In fact, it is cool to the touch while operating. You can also leave it running for 24 hours every day.
Aside from that, it features a wall-sens safety sensor that cuts the power when it is removed from the wall. This heater is also safe for you and your family as it doesn’t blow allergens and dust across the room. It makes your tiny house safe and healthy regardless if you are living alone, living with your family, or with pets.
What makes this heater our overall pick as the best heater for tiny houses is its excellent features. In fact, its Stack Convection Technology is one of the best features it has, which produces an updraft of slow-moving, warm air that circulates across the room.
Lastly, this heater doesn’t require installation and is easy to operate and clean. You can install it in your bedrooms, bathrooms, small offices, and tiny homes.
2. Lasko 754200 Ceramic Portable Space Heater
- Ideal for tabletop or floor use with easy to use top-mounted controls
- Adjustable thermostat
- 1500 watts of comforting warmth with 3 quiet settings; fan only, low and high heat. Heating coverage: 300 Sq. ft
- Fully assembled with carry handle. 8.34 x 6.55 x 11.66 tall
- ETL lis
This is our choice for best budget-friendly heater for tiny house
- Its fan-only feature allows it to be used all year.
- You can set your preferred temperature with an adjustable thermostat.
- The heater’s small size and carry handle let users move them quickly.
- Fully assembled upon arrival.
- It does not oscillate and only heats in one direction.
- The thermostat is not programmable to a specific temperature in degrees Celsius.
Heating your tiny house does not have to be costly. In fact, Lasko 754200 heater is one of the most affordable space heaters on the market, costing only $31.29.
Despite its small size, this compact heater heats up quickly in just a few minutes. It is also one of the few compact heaters that can produce up to 1,500 watts.
While the grille can get quite hot, the housing around the unit stays reasonably cool. You may easily adjust its position or transfer it to the compact house, too.
The top left dial of this heater also controls four settings: low heat, high heat, fan alone, and off. Meanwhile, the thermostat is set using the right dial.
You will also love how it runs quietly. The sound it makes is scarcely audible when you’re talking.
The Lasko 754200 also includes “thermal overload protector” safety features. This function enables the heater to shut off when it reaches a temperature that could cause it to overheat.
3. Dr. Infrared Heater Advanced Dual Heating System
- Can heat up a large room with dual heating system: Infrared quartz tube + ptc. Tip-over protection and overheat protection
- Built-in humidifier produces a cool mist to add much needed humidity to dry, winter air
- Oscillation function distributes warmth throughout your entire Area evenly and faster.Can be operated as a fan with humidifier or without, good for summer time
- Electronic thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Lifetime filter
- The DR-998 portable Infrared space heater is a 1500W portable heater featuring a dual-heating system with both Infrared and ceramic heating elements inside
- Power source type: Corded Elect
This is our choice for best value heater for tiny house
- The wood finish complements the majority of furniture and décor.
- There are other power options available, including an excellent outside surface and auto-shutoff.
- Heating up to 1,000 square feet is possible with the Smart ECO function.
- Quite reasonably priced
- The heater’s underbelly heats very quickly.
- The standard heating temperature is merely average.
The AmazonBasics Space Heater has a solid appearance and a wood finish. It’s great for heating your tiny house because it doesn’t require a thermostat to keep the heat in.
It has two power levels: 1,000 and 1,500 watts. According to the manufacturer, it can run for up to 80,000 hours and has proven to be resilient. To heat the area, it employs a dual heating system that combines quartz tubes and PTC.
The heater is nearly 15-inches tall and is very easy to store thanks to its rolling coaster. This item also includes an LED display and a 12-hour timer. It also comes with a remote control in case you need to make changes from a distance.
This heater also has an auto-shutoff mechanism that keeps it from overheating. The heating elements are also not exposed, making it safe for your children or pets to touch.
4. Mr. Heater F215100 Little Buddy Indoor Safe
- Indoor-safe portable propane heater for rooms up to 95 square feet. THIS UNIT IS NOT INTENDED FOR GOLF CART USE OR FOR MOTORIZED VEHICLES.
- Continuous odor-free, 45-degree heating angle. Maximum Elevation (Ft) 7000 Feet. Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS). Perfect solution for heating small enclosed spaces like tents up to 95 square feet
- Simple on/off buttons; uses 1-pound disposable propane cylinder (not included). Run time at minimum btu and maximum btu is 5.6 hours. Do not operate heater in any moving vehicle. This heater requires a vent area of 4 square inches minimum for adequate ventilation during operation
- Low-oxygen sensor and accidental tip-over switch with auto shut-off for safety.THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY, AND WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
- Recommended for emergency heat, tents, campers, workshops, job sites, porches, patios, decks, garages, storage buildings, picnics, tailgate parties, construction trailers, sporting events, barns, sheds, hunting blinds, shelters and ice fishing shant
This is our choice for best portable heater for tiny house
- Portable and handy
- Augmented safety with ODS, accidental tip-over, and low oxygen sensor
- Simple on and off buttons
- Superb fuel efficiency
- Starts easily work well
- It needs a vent area of 4 square inches for adequate ventilation while functioning.
When it comes to portable heaters, safety is a major concern. Good thing that Mr. Heater F215100 Little Buddy Indoor Safe has the most secure and convenient heating for tiny households.
The oxygen detector is the heater’s primary safety feature. If this machine senses that the oxygen levels in the room are low, it will turn off automatically, which will safeguard you from possible carbon monoxide levels.
This little heater also has an auto shut-off mechanism in case someone knocks it over. While this may appear to be an outlier, heaters are routinely toppled over. It is especially risky while sleeping because you may accidentally knock over the heater.
These circumstances can lead to dangerous fires. But, the safety features of this heater will mitigate those risks.
At an altitude of 7000 feet, this interior safe propane heater for tiny houses provides constant odor-free warmth. You may enjoy warmth in your enclosed environment securely thanks to its automated low oxygen shut-off feature.
The one heat setting gives you complete temperature control. Despite its small size, it provides excellent performance and takes up little space in your home.
5. Duraflame DFI-5010 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
- 5,200 BTU heater provides supplemental zone heating for up to 1,000 square feet to help you save money
- Patent pending 3D flame effect technology features realistic flames that dance on and behind the logs, including five adjustable color, brightness, and speed settings
- The infrared quartz heat helps to maintain the natural humidity in the air, resulting in comfortable heat without drying out the rooms
- Overheat protection, heater will instantly shut off to prevent overheating. Volts : 120. Amps : 12.5
- Adjustable, digital thermostat allows you to decide the temperature of your r
This is our choice for the best heater for tiny house for better air quality
Tiny houses are meant to look relaxing and aesthetic. For this reason, many tiny house owners are attracted to the Duraflame DFI-5010 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove.
This device is a fireplace that utilizes quartz and electricity to provide warm air. With its powerful heating performance, you will stay cozy in your tiny house during the cold months.
Also, this heater is ideal for you if your tiny home has several levels, and it can heat around 1,000 square feet in a short period. To top it all, this electric heater doesn’t only provide warm air.
Since it utilizes quartz, it improves the quality of the air inside your tiny home. Also, this heater does far more than heat up your tiny house as quartz balances the humidity of the air inside your home in a natural way, keeping your skin and home from drying.
Questions and Answers about Heaters for Tiny House
What Are the Common Ways to Heat a Tiny House?
A tiny house has less space and is smaller in size. It means that you need a heating system that provides precisely the same output as requested so that there is no waste in fuel or energy. To determine the best heating solution for your tiny house, check out the different heating options below:
- Electric Heaters – Heaters under this category are cheaper than other heating options. Also, they do not require installation. However, you must have a grid option to keep them operational. They are also quite bulky and energy-consuming, which can result in high monthly electric bills.
- Kerosene Heaters – They are, without a doubt, the most affordable and widely available alternative among all others. But, because they do not provide clean fuel combustion, they can be hazardous to the health.
- Propane Heaters – They are the most energy-efficient and cost-effective heating option there is. They provide clean fuel combustion, low fuel costs, and exceptional convenience.
- Mini-Splits – These units are helpful since they are multi-functional. Along with their external heat pump, users can mount them on the wall or ceiling. But, when it snows, it could damage the heat pump, resulting in expensive maintenance.
What Are The Off-Grid Heating Options For Tiny Houses?
You can also choose from different off-grid heating methods. You are not restricted to a single place while using off-grid heating systems because these units utilize energy generated by propane, wood, or the sun.
When choosing a firewood heater, consider the size of the wood burner necessary. It would otherwise take up needless space in your tiny dwelling.
Also, these heaters use real fire. So, it would help if you use extreme caution when utilizing them on the floor. Make sure that the perimeter of your home around the unit is completely secure.
Solar Power Units
With solar power units, the volume of solar energy captured by solar air heating devices is used to heat the air. After that, the hot air is pumped throughout the house. They are eco-friendly and energy-efficient, but they require sunlight to function.
Geothermal Heating Units
You can use electrically powered appliances to heat and chill rooms using geothermal heating units. They use extensive loops of underground plumbing to transport heat from your tiny house to the ground. Despite their excellent efficiency, they have prohibitively high installation costs.
Is It Safe To Use Propane Heaters Indoors?
Yes, propane heaters are safe to use indoors. However, it is critical to have adequate ventilation in your home or utilize a heater with a built-in ventilation system.
Here are some pointers to help you use your gas heater safely. It is also vital to understand the many types of propane heaters to make the best choice.
- Select a heater size that is perfect for your space or room and bears the UL or Underwriter’s Laboratory label.
- Before you begin using the heater, carefully read all of the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep your heater away from combustible things such as drapes, furniture, bedding, towels, and doors. You must also put them on a non-combustible surface.
- You should install carbon monoxide in your home.
- Never leave a propane heater on while sleeping.
- If, instead of a blue flame, a yellow or orange flame comes out, stop using it immediately.
- Never use the heater to dry your garments.
- You can clean the outside and grilles of your heater with a vacuum cleaner’s hose.
- Heaters are not holders, do not place anything above them.
- Avoid relocating a portable propane heater unless necessary. Most essential, wait for your heater to cool before touching it.
- Choose a propane heater with a non-combustible surface.